Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Surname


There is a first for everything, it's the first time in my life (55) that I read or hear, that an English speaking person is bothered by the mispronunciation of some French words and moreover French surnames; I for one can't say that it bothers me..(anymore), except for the ones who know and  knows better, for example; our good friend Don Cherry, whom I like and respect, and rarely miss his ''coache's corner'' segment; knows that Roy is pronounced Rwah like Rwanda, but he keeps on saying Roy like Roy Rodgers; and he knows that Giguère (the Leafs  goalie) is pronounced Gi....like GiGi, but he keeps on saying Guiguère...sounding closely to guy... sounds bad more like a diminutive. That's his way of getting back at the separatists I suppose (which he seems to hate with a passion) where anyone with a French surname is a potential contributor for the break-up of ''his country''. This to me, is primitive archaic minding, It doesn't affect me as much.anymore, although if I'd be me, I would ask him (politely) to make the great effort of finding a way to pronounce my name as correctly as possible on the air.

 What's funny though, is that with my surname, it's the Francophones who either struggle with the spelling or even the sounding , if they omit ''my'' acute accent on the e, the one I have been claiming all my life and being striped of (lol) all too often. It's a four letter surname; with three vowels and one consonant, and every time I say my name to be registered somewhere, it never fails; ''how to you spell it sir'' ? I spell it; '' Aw zz rt h kk mbb elo....what do you mean how do I spell it? it's not a very common surname but it's far from being rare....after exuding my bit, I could go sitting down, let's say in a waiting room; ''Mr Aube? yes? ''you're next'' claiming back my acute accent on the e saying '' It's O bay, not Hhobb''....''sorry sir''.... '' no problem''. I swear I once tested to say, after they'd ask for my name; ''my name is Robert Tranchemontagne'', and she or he, got it right away and wrote it swiftly with no problem..(lol). Then I told that I was joking and utter out my real name...........''my name is Robert Aubé with an acute accent on the E...''how do you spell it sir" EXCUSE me? ''how do you spell it''? grrrrrrr......anyway good for you Mr. Laxer, good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment